Mary Wilson, Original Supremes Member, Dies at 76

Eco friendly holiday packages and tours. https://cipherholiday.com
Due to COVID19 our service is not started. Please keep watching for the latest updates. Thank you.
miniming

Post by miniming » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:19 am

Mary Wilson, the legendary diva and founding member of The Supremes, who served with the soul group longer than any other singer, passed away suddenly at her Las Vegas home on Monday night (Jan. 8). She was 76.

Wilson was always at the core of The Supremes, a steady force in the all-girl supergroup as members rotated out. The Motown icons earned 12 No. 1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart -- the record for the most No. 1s among American groups. Five of those No. 1s were consecutive, a hot run few artists will ever touch.

Formed in Detroit in 1959, then a quartet of 15-year-olds called The Primettes, The Supremes and Wilson were more than a performers. They were unifiers and pioneers, whose music and style sent social, racial, and gender barriers crashing down.

After The Supremes disbanded in 1977, Wilson continued on as a solo artist. She was rarely far from the spotlight.

In 2019, she competed in Dancing With The Stars and published Supreme Glamour, her fourth book. Outside of music, she threw her energies into numerous social and civic causes.

Jan. 21 of this year marked the 60th anniversary of the day The Supremes signed with Motown in 1961. Wilson was front and center in the celebrations.

The legendary artist never gave up hope of getting the band back together, in the right circumstances. “Well, let’s put it this way: It’s really up to Diana,” she told THR in January. “I don't think she wants to do that. It doesn’t make sense unless you come together lovingly. Or at least have an understanding. It can be an understanding, that’s fine But I don't think she does want to. So therefore I'm going on with my life.”

She is survived by her daughter Turkessa and grandchildren (Mia, Marcanthony, Marina); her son, Pedro Antonio Jr and grandchildren (Isaiah, Ilah, Alexander, Alexandria); her sister Kathryn; her brother, Roosevelt; her adopted son/cousin Willie and grandchildren (Erica (great granddaughter, Lori), Vanessa, Angela).

Services will be private due to COVID restrictions, a rep says, though a celebration of Wilson’s life and career will take place later this year.

The family asks in lieu of flowers, that friends and fans support UNCF.org and the Humpty Dumpty Institute.

Read More : pg slot