Australian teenagers lose bid to block coal mine expansion

https://ciphermeeting.com
Web application is LIVE and you can register and start conducting video meeting / conference / events. Build business and network. Anywhere and Anytime. FULLY ENCRYPTED, SAFE AND SECURED. IT IS FREE TO USE. Thank you
limited

Australian teenagers lose bid to block coal mine expansion

Post by limited » Fri May 28, 2021 3:24 am

Australia - A group of eight Australian teenage environmentalists lost their court bid Thursday to force the federal government to ban a coal mine expansion.

But their lawyer slotxo ผ่านเว็บ claimed victory in the Federal Court's ruling that the government has a duty to prevent future climate harm.

The plaintiffs, aged 13 to 17, argued that Environment Minister Sussan Ley had a duty to protect younger people against climate change. Ley is considering whether to approve an expansion of Vickery mine in New South Wales state, and the teenagers sought an injunction preventing the expansion.

Justice Mordy Bromberg rejected their bid, while noting the expansion of the Whitehaven Coal-owned mine would lead to an additional 33 million metric tons (36 million US tons) of coal being extracted over 25 years and 100 million metric tons (110 million US tons. ) of carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere.

Bromberg ruled that Ley did owe the children a duty of care under the law of negligence, but said he was not satisfied that a reasonable understanding had been established that Ley would breach her duty of care to the children.

Bromberg found there was a real risk that the extension of the mine near the town of Gunnedah would cause a “tiny but measurable increase to global average surface temperatures.”

“Perhaps the most startling of the potential harms demonstrated by the evidence before the court is that 1 million of today's Australian children are expected to suffer at least one heat stress episode serious enough to require acute care in a hospital,” Bromberg said.

“Many thousands will suffer premature death from heat stress or bushfire smoke. Substantial economic loss and property damage will be experienced. The Great Barrier Reef and most of Australia's eastern eucalypt forests will no longer exist due to repeated, severe bushfires, ”he added.